Your Childs Health
KY AAP’s source for general and state specific information related to child health and/or for more specific guidance on parenting issues.
Why Choose a Pediatrician?
Pediatricians are trained to:
- Help you determine healthy lifestyles for your child and useful ways to role model your choices.
- Offer advice to prevent illness and injuries.
- Provide early and appropriate care of acute illness to prevent its progression.
- Treat life-threatening childhood conditions requiring intensive care.
- Guide you in anticipating your child’s needs from newborn to 21.
As part of their extensive training, pediatricians are experienced in the physical, emotional, and social development of children. Children may be too young or shy to talk so pediatricians understand the importance of listening carefully to your child, and to you. Pediatricians answer your questions, helping you to understand and promote your child’s healthy development. Pediatricians also address issues affecting a child’s family and home environment.
Pediatricians understand that children are not simply small adults.
They often present different symptoms from adults. They may need different prescriptions or treatments than adults. Pediatricians are specially trained to recognize the importance of these differences, especially with young children and newborns.
To find a pediatrician in your area of the state click here.